Because of the amount of usage and deterioration that a basketball receives while being utilized, it is frequently exposed to all types of dirt and germs. Cleaning it will extend your basketball life and save you from playing with a filthy ball.
Your basketball should survive years of drives down the floor and highlight reel-worthy shots if it is well-cared for. With these helpful hints, you’ll learn the answers of two important questions
1) How to clean an outdoor basketball?
2)How ton increase the lifespan and endurance of your basketball?
Depending on the material of your ball, the cleaning process will vary. You should be cautious when cleaning a ball until you understand the proper procedures for each type of ball based on its material. In this post, we’ll look at the many strategies for restoring your basketball to its former glory.
Let’s see what is the best way to clean an outdoor basketball.
Know the material of your basketball before cleaning.
Synthetic leather, real leather, and rubber are the materials used to make basketballs. The Spalding NBA Official Game Ball and Wilson Evo NXT are both high-quality natural leather basketballs.
The MIKASA BX1000 is made up of rubber, while the Wilson NCAA Composite Basketball is the most frequent synthetic leather ball.
Knowing the type of ball material is vital for employing the correct cleaning process. You wouldn’t want to use a high-quality leather ball on a playground since it would crack and degrade.
Table of Contents
Things to ponder before Cleaning a Basketball
- Do not soak a basketball in water or detergent to avoid corrosion of the material.
- Do not use a dryer that generates high-temperature heat. Wipe the moisture from your ball with a damp towel.
- Avoid detergents that are too strong.
- When your basketball is deflated, you should not clean it.
Cleaning a Rubber Basketball
Rubber basketballs are quite simple to keep clean, even though they become filthy due to their outdoor use. To clean your outdoor basketball, follow these steps:
- Fill a bucket halfway with warm water.
- Mix some detergent in the water properly.
- Take a soft cloth, wet it with water, and gently clean the basketball’s surface to remove the dust.
- Repeat the procedure, but instead of being gentle, use more force when cleaning the surface for a second time.
- Inspect it for any visible stains or debris, then wipe off any obvious grime. Make sure you’ve cleaned it well, especially the textured surface.
- It’s time to clean it! Using warm water, wash it thoroughly.
- Wipe any excess water off the ball using a clean, dry towel.
How to clean a composite leather basketball?
Synthetic leather basketballs are most often used in outdoor courts. Cleaning these balls needs a little bit more effort and attention.
- Fill your tub/bucket halfway with lukewarm water and mix enough detergent to create suds.
- After cleaning the basketball, it is recommended that you leave it to soak for approximately thirty minutes.
- Using a clean towel, carefully wash the basketball.
- Wipe the cloth over and over again to remove any dirt until the surface is non-sticky.
- If any little dust spots persist on the surface, use some elbow effort to eliminate them.
- Synthetic rubbers used in outdoor courts can have some serious stains, making more effort while cleaning. To remove those marks, use leather synthetic leather cleaner.
How to clean a leather basketball?
Leather Basketballs are simple to maintain since several leather cleaners on the market make cleaning them a breeze. Before applying leather cleaners to muddy basketballs, they should be washed in warm water first.
- Fill a container with enough leather cleaner.
- A clean towel is used to dab some of it on the basketball’s surface.
- Rub the surface gently for a shiner look.
- Use a dry cloth to wipe the basketball’s surface.
- If you’ve finished cleaning it, store it in a cool and dry location.
Expand the life of Your Basketball
- Keep your basketball in a shaded area and out of direct sunlight.
- Keep it cool and dry. Apply some wood polish to the surface to make it appear new again.
- You’ll like having more than one basketball because you may clean one while changing the other.
Cleaning an outdoor basketball is simple. After being cleaned, your ball will seem brand new, which will boost your self-esteem. It is worth mentioning that clean basketball keeps away germs and different infections during practice and play. Depending on the basketball material and court surface, each ball should be clean in its unique way.
My name is Kaz, and I am a devoted basketball enthusiast with over 15 years of experience both as a player and a coach. Beginning my career as an assistant coach for a college team, I soon found tremendous success as a professional basketball coach. I derive immense pleasure from assisting and mentoring others in matters pertaining to basketball equipment, and as such, I freely share my training programs with my followers and readers via my blog. Learn more about me on my about page.