Once you have invested a good amount of money in buying a good basketball hoop it is very crucial to keep it maintained and outlasted for the longest time. Here are the pro tips which would help you in maintaining and repairing your basketball hoop.
Table of Contents
- 1. Fixing the Net on a Basketball Hoop
- 2. Repairing The Broken Basketball Pole
- 3. Removing A Basketball Pole For Repairing
- 4. Removing The Rust From The Pole
- 5. Fixing The Damaged/Bent Basketball Rim
- 6. Painting The Basketball Rim
- 7.Replacing The Hoop Base Parts
- 8.Painting The Basketball Backboard
- 9. Best Paint For Basketball Court
- 10. Basketball System Parts
- Final Words
1. Fixing the Net on a Basketball Hoop
The first step is to check the wear and tear of net around the rim. Select a fine quality polyster or nylon net.In case of outdoor play stainless steel nets are recommended as they can withstand with harsh outdoor environments. You can seek the manufacturer advice for the compatibility of net with the existing system.
- If you want to fix or replace the net place a ladder on a leveled surface below the basketball rim.
- If the rim has old net you have to take it off first. For this, you have to cut the loops near the rim and remove the remaining parts of the net from the hooks on the rim.
- Now loop the first loop of net through the rim, the end with the longer loops will be attached to the rim. Push the net through each loop on the basketball rim.
- Open the net loop down and spread the rope across the rim coil. Put the net tightly to the rim.
- Using the same technique loop the remaining net loops around the rim. Make sure to hook all the net loops.
- At last hold the bottom of the net and stretch it downward to straighten the net. Now your system is ready to play.
2. Repairing The Broken Basketball Pole
Second step is to take care the pole issues. Usually poles of a basketball system are broken, bent or rusted with the passage of time. In order to repair the broken pole of the basketball hoop you can follow these steps.
- In case of an in-ground system, if your pole is completely broken and comes out of the ground, it’s better to place a new piece of the pole.
- A strong piece of pipe with large surface thickness is a good option to slide over the old pole pieces and weld it. But there shouldn’t be any concrete inside the pole.
- Use 2*4s as an alternative to keep the pole vertical. Fill the pole with concrete to stabilize it. If you don’t load the pole with cement then you must cap it to avoid water storing inside.
3. Removing A Basketball Pole For Repairing
If the steel pole is repairable you have to remove it first. For removing the basketball pole completely you have to call the local utility company for any cables. You will need some helpers, a shovel, safety goggles and a sledgehammer. If you remove the backboard and rim it would lighten the pole. To remove the pole follow these steps.
- The area around the basketball pole must be clear. Remove any vehicles around.
- Start digging on each side of the pole outside the concrete line.
- Continue until bottom(approximately 2 to 2.5 feet deep).
- Now shake the bottom of the pole back and forth with helpers’ help to loosen it. Now put it down slowly and carefully.
- If you want to relocate the pole, hammer the concrete on the bottom with the help of a sledgehammer.
4. Removing The Rust From The Pole
4th step towards maintenance is removing rust form the pole. If you have a steel pole you should find a good steel cleaner. Many steel cleaner provide rust protection so you can get rid of rust from the pole. Another way to remove the rust is as follows
- Use a drill to take off the rust. By using wire brush scrub as much as you can but try not to peel the paint.
- Now apply all surface enamel oil primer on the pole and do it from inside as well.
Now you can paint it with any metallic paint.
5. Fixing The Damaged/Bent Basketball Rim
Problem: Usually players love to dunk and hang from the rim which gradually bend and loosen it.
Solution: The proper maintenance solutions are as follows.
- Determine the areas to work out and wear protective glasses and gloves.
- Turn on the blow torch and apply the torch flame to the damaged area.
- The rim will be pliable on heating.
- If your rim is bent, then take a car jack and fit it into the rim.
- Crank it until the rim attains the original circular shape again.
6. Painting The Basketball Rim
The paint used for basketball rim and other parts is Plutonium exterior/interior aerosol paint that provides protection from cracking, peeling and dripping. The paint color for rim or hoop is primarily orange just like basketball. Acrylic paint is mostly recommended for the systems.
- First disassemble the system and remove the backboard, rim from the pole.
- Remove the old paint.
- Begin painting.
7.Replacing The Hoop Base Parts
Problem: Hoop base parts need constant care as they sustain the whole weight of the system all the time.
Solution: You can replace the plastic base on all types of portable basketball hoops easily with the various products available. Different methods are used to fix or replace the basketball hoop base.
- Find out the leakage in the base. Now drain the base completely and make sure to clean and dry it completely. Now fill the crack with caulk.
- Another method is use of the adhesive or resin to fix a broken hoop base.
- You can also heat the crack by continuously moving a blow torch or heat gun over it.
- Another simple method is use of concrete to fill the patch.
- For portable base replacement you can look at accessories like a probase steel stand, U-turn lift system, bracket, anchor kit, in-ground sleeve, or deluxe acrylic ball stand.
8.Painting The Basketball Backboard
Problem: After long use and exposure to sunlight, weather and ball hitting your backboard needs painting and repairing.
Solution: Acrylic paint is a good option to paint your system backboard. This is also known as Plexiglass.
- To paint the backboard you will need a respirator mask, sanding blocks, clean rags, acetone, gel coat, paint roller, painters tape, spray paint.
- First remove the post and hoop from the backboard and sand down the entire backboard by using sanding blocks.
- Clean the backboard of any debris and dust.
- Mix the gel coat and catalyst thoroughly in a bucket.
- Apply the gel coat evenly across the entire backboard by using the paint roller.
- Put the painters tape to prevent the extension of paint past the marked lines.
- Choose a spray paint color and paint the shooting box and outer areas of the backboard. Keep the spray paint bottle at least 1 foot away from the backboard.
- Now remove the painter’s tape.
9. Best Paint For Basketball Court
Concrete is the best choice for outdoor basketball court but acrylic and vinyl are also used. similarly, on concrete court paints are used to increase the durability and captivity. You can even spray paint your basketball to look new.
10. Basketball System Parts
There are several parts and accessories available to make your play safe, enjoyable and durable. some of them are;
- Backboard padding.
- Basket holder.
- Anchor kit
- Pole Pad
- Universal weight
- Nylon netting
- Yard guard
- Hoop return system
Everyone wants to keep the basketball system and its accessories to work for longer and longer time. You just take simple caring and maintenance tips and precautions and keep an eye on the parts of your system so that you can enjoy your play and system for the longest.
I am Kaz, a passionate basketball player and coach since fifteen years. i have started my career as an assistant coach for college team. I enjoyed tremendous success with the college team as a professional basketball coach.I love to help and guide the people about basketball gears. I love to share my free training programs with my readers and fans on my blog.